If a person loses the capacity to manage their own financial affairs, no one except an Attorney acting under the provisions of an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA), a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or a Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection, has the automatic right to take on that responsibility.

If you or someone close to you is losing Mental Capacity

Contact our specialist Court of Protection lawyers right away. We will take time to learn about your situation and guide you through the steps of creating an LPA if there is not already in place.

If someone you know has already lost Mental Capacity

If someone close to you is no longer capable of managing their own financial affairs and they not have a valid Enduring Power of Attorney or Lasting Power of Attorney (Property and Affairs) in place, it may be necessary for the Court of Protection to appoint a Deputy to manage their affairs.

If you do have an LPA or EPA in place, we recommend you verify that is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian at the earliest opportunity.

Next steps required will depend on your circumstances – please contact our Court of Protection team for Free First Advice to discuss your situation in more detail.